Most Garmin fitness watches come with the ability to navigate using either built in colour maps or breadcrumb maps. While the easiest way is to create a course in Garmin connect. You have downloaded a GPX file want to import this to your Fenix or Forerunner watch. If so, then continue reading to learn how to install a GPX onto a Garmin watch.
The process to import a GPX file onto a Garmin fitness watch is simple, but you will need to make sure you have the following before getting started.
- PC or MAC
- A GPX file ready to import.
- Compatible Garmin device.
- The Fenix charging/sync cable
- a spare 15 minutes of time to complete the process.
This tutorial should work with most Garmin devices, but for I have tested it with the following Garmin fitness watches.
- Fenix 3, Fenix 3 HR, Fenix 5, Fenix 5 Plus or a Fenix 6.
- Forerunner 245, Forerunner 945
If you prefer, you can use watch this video below.
Import a GPX on a Garmin Fenix device
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Mac users you may have to follow this guide to access the “NEWFILES” folder on your Garmin Fenix device.
- Connect your Garmin device. Wait until it shows up as a mounted device on your computer. On my Mac, it shows up as a “Garmin” drive.
- Open the Garmin folder and there you will find “New Files” folder.
- The “New Files” folder should be empty. You can now drag any GPX files in here that you want to use on your device.
- Un-mount the device by ejecting the “Garmin” drive. Your Garmin Fenix may reset.
- The device should now read the files and turn them into internal courses (and they will have disappeared from the “New Files” folder the next time you connect the device).
- Now follow the instructions for your Garmin watch to navigate the course you have imported.
If you have followed the instructions, you will now have a course imported on your Garmin Fenix 5 watch using a GPX file.