If like me you are already a Philips Hue customer then this could be welcome news after the company has announced new products at CES 2019 to its Hue Outdoor lighting range with an outdoor Sensor and serveral new lighting products.
Philips launched the Hue Outdoor range at CES 2018 and they shipped in the summer consisting of outdoor lighting range consisting of outdoor bulbs, light strips, and lamps. Now Philips Hue is back with more products and the most interesting is the outdoor motion sensor.
I have not been personally not been sold on the Hue outdoor range as most of the products are an ordinary Hue bulb in a sealed lighting fixture, that retail at a high price. When you could get a Hue bulb and buy a sealed lighting fixture from your local DIY store for a fraction of the price.
Philips Hue outdoor range – whats new
US and Europe
- Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor – The Hue Outdoor sensor is a weather-resistant and battery-powered
- Philips Hue Welcome Flood Light – Only comes in a White bulb option
- Philips Hue Discover Flood Light – White as well as a coloured ambience
- Philips Hue Econic family – Outdoor wall lights
- The Philips Hue Econic – Which includes a pedestal and post option
- The Philips Hue Fuzo family – Which includes a pedestal, a post and three wall lights, with white light.
- The Philips Impress family – Which includes three pedestals and two wall lights.
- The Philips Hue Calla large bollard – Which is a bigger version of the already available Calla path light and has White and Color Ambiance light1 of 4
Breaking this down and being honest, Philips has added a number of new lights to its Hue outdoor range, but nothing you can create at a lower price with either a Hue Bulb and a sealed outdoor lighting enclosure or a smart plug.
Philips Hue Outdoor motion sensor is the real deal
However, the most exciting announcement is the Philips Hue outdoor motion sensor. The Hue Outdoor sensor is a weather-resistant, battery-powered, and wireless which means that it can be placed anywhere outside the house without needing a power socket or additional cabling.
It has a detection range of 12 metres and when configured via the Hue app can turn on your indoor or outdoor lights automatically when the sensor detects motion.
The Hue Outdoor sensor also has a dusk-to-dawn sensor which ensures that the sensor only activates the lights when it’s dark and having these options allows you to use it with other smart home products.
So for instance, if you wanted to attach a couple of dumb floodlights to an Eve smart plug that was inside the home, the Philips Hue Outdoor motion sensor could be used to trigger these lights at the fraction of the cost of what the Philips Hue Welcome Flood Light would cost.
Philips Hue outdoor motion sensor and lights availability and pricing.
Available in North America and Europe in February 2019
- The Philips Hue Welcome Flood Light – RRP: EUR 129.99 / USD 109.99
- The Philips Hue Discover Flood Light – RRP: EUR 149.99 / USD 139.99
- The Philips Hue Econic family of wall lights – RRP: EUR 139.99 / USD 129.99
- The Philips Hue Outdoor sensor – RRP: EUR 49.95 / USD 49.95
Available in Europe only, in February 2019
- The Philips Hue Econic pedestal and post – RRP: EUR 129.99 and 159.99
- The Philips Hue Fuzo family – RRP: from EUR 79.99
- The Philips Impress family – RRP: from EUR 109.99
- The Philips Hue Calla large bollard – RRP: EUR 149.99