How to connect my Garmin watch to a Mac
Have you recently upgraded to the Garmin Fenix 5 or the Forerunner 645 Music and found it won’t connect to a Mac, then you are in luck with a solution to help you connect your Garmin Fenix 5 Plus to a Mac.
Why Can’t I connect my Garmin Fenix Plus to a Mac?
Before we get started, let’s take a few moments on why you can’t connect your Garmin to a Mac.
It would appear that Garmin in their infinite wisdom has changed the USB mode on the Garmin Fenix 5 Plus, Forerunner 645 and the Vivoactive 3 Music models, however, this is not an issue if you use Microsoft Windows, but you are going to find sending maps and other files a challenge if you use a Mac. The reason is simply that the Mac doesn’t natively support the new USB mode that Garmin has decided to use on the Plus series; this being MTP.
Which Garmin watches can I connect to a Mac using this method
As mentioned Garmin has changed the USB mode for a number of Garmin devices and the method show allow you to connect your Garmin devices to a Mac
- Garmin Fenix 5 Plus
- Garmin Fenix 5s Plus
- Garmin Fenix 5x Plus
- Garmin Forerunner 645 Music
- Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music
Method to Connect a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus to a Mac USB storage
After some digging around and reading various forums it would appear using an app called Andriod File transfer, you can easily connect a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus to a mac or other devices that don’t support the MTP USB mode.
- First download “Android File Transfer“
- Quit Garmin Express if you have it open (this is important)
- Now install Android File transfer on your Mac.
- Once the installation process has completed, connect your Garmin watch to your Mac via the USB cable
- You will be able to access your Garmin watch storage via Mac using USB