HomeKit how to guide – How to add a smart accessory
HomeKit how-to guide is a series focused on smart home accessories, automation tips and tricks, and everything to do with Apple’s smart home app and HomeKit framework.
Welcome to the first in the instalment of HomeKit how-to guides that will be released regularly to give you step by step guide to setting up Apple HomeKit. The home automation from Apple has been out since 2011 and has been growing from strength to strength.
Set up HomeKit accessories
To get your HomeKit smart home enabled home started, you can add lights, locks, thermostats, and other HomeKit-enabled accessories. Before you set up your accessory make sure;
- It’s powered on and nearby.
- Check your smart home accessory’s manual to see if it needs additional hardware to work with HomeKit such as a hub.
- This guide assumes you have already connected the smart home device to your home network and you have followed the setup process within the accessories companion app
How to add a smart home accessory to HomeKit:
- Open the Home app and tap the + in the top right corner
- Then press add an accessory from the options presented
- When your accessory appears, tap it. If asked to Add Accessory to Network, tap Allow.
- With the camera on your iOS device, scan the eight-digit HomeKit code, or QR code on the accessory or accessory documentation. If you don’t have a code to scan, you can enter the code supplied manually manually
- Add information about your accessory such as
- The room the smart accessory is located
- Change the icon
- Change the name of the accessory
- Tap Next, then tap Done and that’s it, your smart accessory is connected to Apple HomeKit in your Home.
If you have a comment about this HomeKit guide then leave one below and don’t forget to share if you find this useful