Garmin Forerunner 245 released
After months of speculation, the Garmin has now released the Forerunner 245 and Forerunner 245 Music.
The Forerunner 245 and 245 music is a great running watch packed with new features like running, advanced running dynamics and Firstbeat.
Garmin Forerunner 245 key details
- What is it?: It’s the Garmin Forerunner 245 and 245 music, upgrade to the FR235
- When is it out?: Forerunner 245 and 245 music is available now.
- What will it cost?: Prices will range from 299.99 – 349.99 for the music edition
- How many models?: The Forerunner 245 come in 2 variants, one standard Forerunner 245 and a Forerunner 245 music.
Garmin Forerunner 245 design
The Forerunner 245 is 1.7” x 1.7” x 0.5” and weighs in at 38.5g. It has a smaller and lighter form factor when comparing it to the Forerunner 235. Garmin has constructed the bezel of a fibre-reinforced polymer material.
In terms of the screen, the 245 is a non-touch, colour screen with 240 x 240 pixels and which is a slight bump in the previous model. Garmin has chosen Corning Gorilla Glass 3 for the screen.
In terms of the Forerunner 245 non-music, it will come in the slate grey and berry. The Forerunner 245 music comes in Black, Aqua and white colour options. Garmin has included 20mm Quick release bands for the Forerunner 245.
On the rear, you will Forerunner 245 is the new ELEVATE HR monitor along with the same charging port you find on other Garmin wearables like the Fenix 5 Plus series.
Garmin Forerunner 245 features
Garmin has packed the Forerunner 245 features that make the watch a good option for someone looking to log running activities.
- GPS running smartwatch with advanced training features
- Features GLONASS, GPS and Galileo.
- Evaluates your current training status to show if you’re under-training or overtraining. The FR245 offers additional performance monitoring features.
- Get free adaptive training plans from Garmin Coach, or create your custom workouts.
- ANT, Bluetooth – but no support for power meters.
- Provides advanced running dynamics, including ground contact time balance, stride length, vertical ratio and more(When used with Running Dynamics Pod or HRM-Run or HRM-Tri monitors
- Safety and tracking features include incident detection (during select activities) which sends your real-time location to emergency contacts through your paired compatible smartphone
- Battery life: up to 7 days in smartwatch mode; up to 24 hours in GPS mode. 6 hours of GPS with music
- Advanced sleeping tracking using Pulse OX and body battery
Forerunner 245 comes with better running support
After all the Forerunner 245 is a running watch, so, the focus will be running.
The Forerunner 245 will feature Firstbeat features training status and training load, which allows you to evaluate your current training status to show if you’re under-training or overdoing it.
Garmin has also included the Garmin coach feature that launched back in 2018, but not taken off. Maybe they might give it a resuscitation for the Forerunner 245 release.
The most remarkable feature is support for advanced running dynamics. This feature includes ground contact time balance, stride length, vertical ratio. But you will need to buy a Running Dynamics Pod or HRM-Run or HRM-Tri monitor.
Garmin has included the Safety and tracking features found in other wearables.
If you are out running and the watch detects an incident. The device will automatically send your real-time location to emergency contacts through your paired compatible smartphone.
Battery life on the previous 235 was up to 9 days in watch mode, GPS of 11 hours. However, the new Forerunner 245 battery life only comes in at seven days in smartwatch mode; up to 24 hours in GPS mode.
As you can imagine the battery life will differ for the Forerunner 245 music with up to 7 days in smartwatch mode, but only 6 hours in GPS mode with music
Advanced Sleep Monitoring and wellness features
The Forerunner 245 has a Pulse Ox sensor. This wrist-based sensor estimates your body’s blood oxygen saturation, which can help gauge how your body is absorbing oxygen — while you sleep. And to give you an idea of how you’re sleeping, Forerunner 245 Music tracks your light, deep and REM stages of sleep, along with movement throughout the night.
It also features all-day stress monitoring for wellness tracking during the day. If your stress level climbs, use the relaxation breathing timer for a few minutes of guided breathing,
Garmin’s Body Batter energy monitoring uses collected data to gauge your energy reserves at any moment.
Running with Music
Music on the wrist first appeared in a Garmin wearable with the Forerunner 645 music back in 2018, and it rolled out to other fitness wearables like the Fenix 5 Plus series. So, Garmin has expanded music to the Forerunner 245.
You will Sync with music streaming services, such as Spotify, to store and play your favourite rite songs right from your watch. You can also load your songs on the FR245 Music.
Smart running watch
While Garmin’s focus for the Forerunner 245 is a running watch first, it features some smartwatch features.
The Forerunner 245 includes Wifi/Bluetooth and ANT+. But it does not support power meters.
In terms of smartphone notifications, the Forerunner supports call and text alerts. You can also Customise with watch faces, apps and more from our Connect IQ™ app.
Garmin Forerunner 245 price
Prices for the Garmin Forerunner 245 start at $299.99 for the non-music version and $349.99 for the music edition.
Garmin Forerunner 245 release
Garmin has released the forerunner 245 today with shipping expected around may time from most major retailers.
Buy the Forerunner 245 from Wiggle
Don’t forget to subscribe to receive the latest on new Garmin Forerunner 245 and 245 music. If you have a question or comment, then leave it below.