Garmin Forerunner 245 release date?
The rumour winds are starting to get strong around the Garmin Forerunner 245 release. The biggest question is what we should expect from the successor to the popular Forerunner 235?
Before we get started, I want to be clear that the information below about the Forerunner 245 is based on a number of factors. These include information received from sources, industry trends and with a pinch of speculation.
So before you go running for the credit card and dreaming of the Forerunner 245 on your wrist. Remember sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong. But for sure the forerunner 245 and FR 245 music is coming and this is what I know.
One of the sources in case you wanting to do your own digging
Garmin Forerunner 245 release rumour details
- What is it?: Its the Garmin Forerunner 245 and 245 music, upgrade to the FR235
- When is it out?: based on recent information, The Garmin Forerunner 245 should be released in March 2019
- What will it cost?: Pricing is currently unknown, But expect it to be competitive to compete
- What features will it have?: The Forerunner 245 is said to come in 2 variants, one standard Forerunner 245 and a Forerunner 245 music.
Garmin Forerunner 245 design
The Current Forerunner 235 is 45 x 45 x 11.7 mm and comes in at 42 g and the current thinking is that the Forerunner 245 will be trimmed down to match Garmin’s approach with other fitness wearables in its range.
In terms of the screen, the current 235 is a non-touch colour screen with 215 x 180 pixels and whilst the expectation is that we will see a pixel bump, the FR245 is not expected to feature a touchscreen.
The final design change will be that the Forerunner 245 will get Quick release bands that are featured on the Forerunner 645.
Garmin Forerunner 245 features
The Current Forerunner 235 sits in the near the bottom of the forerunner family, but high up enough to warrant some decent features without breaking the bank.
So what is the current information pointing at
- Music – For sure
- Firstbeat – in a fashion
- Improved battery life
- Smart features
- The Elevate heart rate sensor found in the Forerunner 645.
So let us check out what is known below about the features on the Forerunner 245
Running with Music
Music on the wrist first appeared in a Garmin wearable with the Forerunner 645 music back in 2018 and it been rolled out to other fitness wearables like the Fenix 5 Plus series. So we can expect to see a Garmin Forerunner 235 music in the range too.
Along with music support, also expect to see support for the current range of music providers including Spotify with support for about 500 songs on the wrist.
Like the other Garmin wearables with music support, we will not see any streaming on the wrist like you would with an Apple Watch.
Better running support with some support for other sports
After all the Forerunner 245 is a running watch, so naturally, the focus will be running, but I don’t think it’s going to be as advanced as the Forerunner 645 and will certainly not touch the 935, that’s obvious, right?
Current thinking is that the Forerunner 245 will feature some sort of Firstbeat features, but certainly not the same level you get with the higher end Garmin watches.
Garmin will also include the Garmin coach feature that was launched back in 2018, but not really took off. Maybe they might give it a resuscitation for the Forerunner 245 release.
Improved battery life
Battery life on the current 235 is impressive with up to 9 days in watch mode, GPS of 11 hours. Current sources suggest that the Forerunner 245 will be pushed to around 12-14 days and 16 hours with GPS.
As you can imagine the battery life will differ for the Forerunner 245 music with it being in the range of 8 days in smartwatch mode and 7 hours with GPS and music at the same time.
Smart running watch
Bringing the Forerunner 245 up to Garmin’s current tech, it will have to feature some of its advanced smartwatch features, however, I can’t see it having the following
- Garmin Pay – It could, but I doubt it
- LTE support – This is currently a hobby project on the Vivoactive 3, so no LTE
- No built-in messaging or mobile features other than what’s mentioned below.
So what will it have?
- Upgraded to CIQ 3 – It needs to have this really to stay current and future
- Wifi/Bluetooth and ANT+ – But according to source it won’t support power meters, why would it though?
- Better phone and text alerts, when I say better I mean what you get on the current Garmin wearables like the Fenix 5 Plus…. if you can call them better.
- LiveTrack feature (its already on the 235, just wanted to call that out)
- The possibility of Strava live segments ( this is an outside bet)
Garmin Forerunner 245 price
Based on current information and to keep competitive, pricing is going to be around $260 – $300 and some more for the music version.
Don’t forget to subscribe to receive the latest on new Garmin Forerunner 245 and 245 music. If you have a question or comment then leave it below.