Garmin Edge 1030 released with advanced features
After much speculation, the Garmin Edge 1030 has been released today with a number of new features and improvement. The new Edge 1030 brings rider to rider messaging, TRENDLINE popularity routing for navigation advanced performance matrix and improved cycling safety features with incident detection.
Garmin has released 2 variants of the Edge 1030, one being a standard edition that includes the Edge 1030, charging cable and various mounts and the second being the performance bundle which includes all of the above, but including a Heart rate monitor and Cadence sensor. What is interesting is Garmin will not be releasing a touring version, but I suspect this will because of the new on bike charging accessory that will add an extra battery to the device.
Essential reading: Fitbit Ionic previewed
Garmin Edge 1030 pricing
Garmin has released the Edge 1030 today and it will start shipping in in a few weeks The price will start at £499/$599 for the standard bundle and £599/$699 for the performance bundle that will come with a heart rate monitor and cadence sensor. You can preorder the device from the links below and it will be shipped on launch date
Edge 1030 highlights
- 3.5-inch color touchscreen that works with gloves and in the wet
- Ambient light sensors auto-adjust brightness
- Claimed 20 hours of battery life, plus 24 more with battery pack attached under mount
- Garmin Cycle Map gives turn-by-turn directions with sharp-curve alert
- Rider-to-rider messages between Garmin 1030 users
Garmin Edge 1030 specs
Looking at the back of the box on the Garmin Edge 1030 the specs of the device are
- 20 hours battery – lets see if this actually is reality, extended further with a battery accessory
- 123g weight – This is heavier than the Edge 1000 which is 114g
- TRENDLINE POPULARITY ROUTING Uses billions of miles of Garmin Connect ride data to show you the best on- and off-road routes traveled by cyclists.
- DISPLAY The new 3.5â€ screen is bigger and sharper than in previous Edge cycling computers.
- RIDER-TO-RIDER MESSAGING Rider-to-rider messaging lets you send prewritten notes from your Edge 1030 to other ridersâ€™ Edge devices. Let your friends know if youâ€™ll catch up in a few minutes or if they should go on without you.
- NEW SMART CONNECTIVITY Respond to missed phone calls or texts with prewritten messages4 such as â€œbe home soon.â€ Give your friends and family â€” even your fellow riders â€” peace of mind by letting them follow your rides in real time with LiveTrack and GroupTrack2.
- GARMIN CYCLE MAPS AND ALERTS Edge 1030 is preloaded with maps and includes turn-by-turn navigation and new navigation alerts that notify you of upcoming sharp turns.
- LONGER BATTERY LIFE Your Edge battery should outlast your ride, not the other way around. With Edge 1030, get up to 20 hours of power, and if thatâ€™s not enough, add up to 24 more with the optionally extended battery pack.
STRAVA LIVE SEGMENTS Race virtually against your Strava friends with second-by-second comparisons and see how your effort compares to your PR. The new segment explore alerts you to a nearby iconic segment.
- NEW PRELOADED STRAVA ROUTES CIQ APP The starred routes automatically sync to your Edge so you can navigate and compete on your favorite segments at the same time.
- NEW PRELOADED TRAINING PEAKS CIQ APP With TrainingPeaks, bringing your coach with you for every ride is as easy as turning on your Edge 1030. The preloaded TrainingPeaks Connect IQâ„¢ app puts your daily workout right on the Edge device.
- VARIA COMPATIBILITY Edge 1030 is compatible with Variaâ„¢ rearview radar, Varia Vision and smart bike lights to help create a safer riding environment.
- CONNECT IQ COMPATIBLE Customize Edge 1030 with free apps, widgets and data fields you want from the Connect IQ store. Apps such as AccuWeather let you know when the rain is going to stop so you can find time for a ride.
- NEW IN-LINE FLUSH MOUNT This included mount keeps your device in line with the handlebars, not above them. This gives your Edge a lower profile, and it is also effortless to switch out optional accessories
- New Garmin Connect Mobile Workout Creator: As part of the new GCM release, you can now create structured workouts on the phone (finally)
Garmin Edge 1030 TRENDLINE popularity routing
Garmin have launched a new feature with the Edge 1030 and they are calling this TRENDLINE popularity routing. Garmin claim that using the billions of miles of riding date from Garmin users in Garmin connect will now bring popularity derived routing for road, mountain and gravel trials. This is feature similar to what Strava offer and if it works just as good then this is going to be pretty good.
Garmin Edge 1030 cycling maps
The Garmin Edge 1030 will also include Garmin official cycling maps preloaded and these will work with the TRENDLINE popularity routing feature that is built in. Whilst people do complain about the maps, I have not really had a problem and with the my Edge 1000 I have stuck to the maps provided with it rather than installing some third party maps
Garmin Edge 1030 rider to rider messaging
The Garmin Edge 1030 will also feature rider to rider messaging and this will work by pairing a smartphone. The Edge 1030 will allow you to message other riders using an Edge 1030 with details like “Hey, I’m running late. Be there ASAP!” Whilst this is an Edge 1030 only feature at this stage, I suspect Garmin will roll this out to other Edge devices like the Edge 520 and 820 in the future as I cant imagine this being a big hit otherwise.
Garmin Edge 1030 advance performance stats
Just like the Garmin Fenix 5 series, the Garmin Edge 1030 will also include advanced performance data in the form of training load and training status. This will cover key areas like VO2 max, training load, recovery time and when pair with other Garmin products such as the vector 2 or the new vector 3 pedals this device will really be a great device for training and gaining meaningful training insights
Garmin Edge 1030 comes with Preloaded apps from Strava, TrainingPeaks
While the Edge 520 and 820 can use Strava Segments for real-time tracking of your performance versus your PR, your friend’s PR or the KOM/QOM, the 1030 adds the newest Strava Routes Connect IQ app that lets you navigate a route while also chasing a Strava time.
The TrainingPeaks CIQ app automatically loads each day’s workout onto the computer if you are a TrainingPeaks subscriber following a training plan. This is handy if you are religiously following the plan, but you can’t jump ahead or back to other workouts; only that day’s workout shows up.
Garmin Edge 1030 cycling safety features
Garmin have been steadily moving in the direction of cycling safety for a while now with the Varia series that includes the Varia radar light which I personally use all the time. Garmin have now included incident detection which is included in a number of other Edge devices. The incident detection will detect if you have come off the bike and will alert a preset contact of this incident which will include the recorded location, this feature does need a active Smartphone data connection to work.
Garmin Edge 1030 on bike charging
Whilst the Garmin Edge 1030 has a claimed 20 hours top possible running time. Looking at the back of the Garmin Edge 1030it can be extended by an additional 24 hours when you clip a separately sold battery pack to the bottom of the 1030 mount. This is an interesting feature and will certainly appear to people that like touring and ultra long distance.
Garmin Edge 1030 review
The Garmin edge 1030 has only just been announced today, but I will be getting one very shortly and I will be bringing you a full review of the device and my opinion on some of the key features.