How to connect my Garmin watch to a Mac
Do you own a Garmin Fenix 6, Fenix 5 Plus, Forerunner 945/645, MARQ series or Vivoactive 4? Are you unable to access the “Garmin” folder via your Mac computer? If so, then I will show you how to connect your Garmin watch to to your Mac.
The easiest route to connect your Mac to your Garmin watch is to use Garmin Express. This method will allow your to transfer music, maps bought via Garmin or update firmware. However, if you are using a Mac, then you cannot access the Garmin folder to access data stored on the device or transfer third party maps or routes. This only applies to users of a music enabled device, but you are in luck using a super easy-to-use app called Android File Transfer.
Background and Android File transfer for Garmin
While it’s not an issue to access the Garmin folder using a Microsoft Windows machine as it supports MTP mode. A Mac computer does not natively support the new USB mode that Garmin has used on its music enabled devices.
So the solution is to use an app that is designed to be used with Android devices, but it works perfectly well for the purpose of accessing the Garmin folder on a Mac computer.
Which Garmin watches can I connect to a Mac using this method
Super easy steps to access the Garmin folder on a Mac
- First download “Android File Transfer“
- Quit Garmin Express if you have it open (this is important)
If you leave Garmin Express open it will block the App.
- Now install Android File transfer on your Mac
- Once the installation process has completed, connect your Garmin watch to your Mac via the USB cable. Ensure that Garmin Express is closed and not running.
- You will now be able to access the Garmin folder and other folders on your Garmin watch via the Android File Transfer app
So that’s it, you can now access the Garmin folder on your Fenix 6/5, Forerunner or whatever compatible device you are using.