Top running watches with Music 2018
We all have to agree that running with music is a big help, wherever its finding motivation when first starting out running or when you need to dig deep on a long run when the legs feel like lead. But anyone looking to run to their tunes and track their workouts with a GPS running watch, it usually means strapping on a phone with a smartphone armband.
The good news is the latest running watches and smartwatches are coming equipped with onboard storage and even music streaming access, so you can leave your smartphone behind and run untethered.
Running watch with music deals
Best running watch with music playback
Garmin Forerunner 645 Music
Garmin has finally got into the music game with the Forerunner 645 music. The Forerunner 645 lets you drag and drop music files from your computer to your watch and pair Bluetooth headphones.
The Garmin Forerunner 645 music has room for 500 songs and support for selected streaming services with Deezer and iHeartRadio is one of those services on board. I am currently completing the review of the Forerunner 645 music, but testing so far has good and the Forerunner 645 is a good choice for music.
- IN THE BOX: 1 x Garmin Forerunner 645 GPS Multisport Watch with Contactless Payments (Standart or Music Edition, depends on your choice), 1 x Wearable4U Ultimate Power Pack contains Wearable4U Power Bank 10000 mAh, Wearable4U Wall and Car USB Charging adapters
- GARMIN FORERUNNER 645: Running is more than just exercise - it's a performance. And Forerunner 645 has the tools to help you put on an outstanding show every time you lace up your shoes. Featuring contactless payments that let you buy what you need while on the go - plus advanced running dynamics and performance monitoring tools - this GPS running watch is the instrument you need to refine the performance.
The Amazfit Stratos is a new entry to the fitness watch market when you compare it to the likes of Garmin and Fitbit, but don’t be put off by this. The Stratos performs reasonably well as a fitness tracker and for using it as a running watch with music, I was impressed.
Read the Review: Amazfit Stratos
Although the Amazfit Stratos has onboard music storage, it does not offer any streaming services like the Garmin or other devices. The Stratos only allows you to transfer music from your PC or Mac to the watch that is DRM free.
- Amazfit Stratos is the ultimate smartwatch for today's serious athlete. The latest smartwatch in Amazfit's lineup of fitness wearables, the Stratos combines advanced performance tracking technologies and smart convenience features in a sleek, sophisticated design.
- Achieve Your Personal Best: On the trail, in the gym, or even in the pool, the Stratos can help you take your game to the next level with GPS + GLONASS route tracking and special sports modes for running, walking, cycling, swimming, elliptical machine, mountaineering, trail running, triathlon, skiing, tennis and soccer.
TomTom Spark 3 Cardio + Music
The TomTom Spark 3 is a good fitness watch and offers a lot of great features for your wrist, including music without your phone at a great price.
Plus on top of that, the Spark 3 offers up GPS tracking, a heart rate monitor and route navigation, making this the perfect wrist companion to wear while running around areas you don’t really know and discovering new places. The Spark 3 is more than a fitness tracker at a very good price.
One thing to note with the Spark 3, TomTom has pulled out of the fitness watch market, however, this device is still supported for the time being.
- GPS Running Watch: Measures time, distance, speed, pace, calories burned, and live stats on the go.
- Activity Tracker: Capture your steps, active minutes, distance, calories burned, and sleep. Set goals to stay on track. Coming soon, pick from over 50 workouts and get step by step guidance on the watch to help you achieve your goals.
Best Smartwatches for fitness & music
For those of you wanting to have the best of both worlds with a smartwatch combined with a fitness watch with music, then check out these top smartwatches for fitness and music selection below
The Apple Watch is seen by some as the king of smartwatches, however, people will scoff at it being a serious fitness watch. I have to disagree and based on my testing the Apple Watch handles fitness tracking pretty well with one of the best optical HR sensors
You also are in luck with the Apple Watch for music storage and streaming as it works with Apple Music and the 2 work seamlessly together. If you are using Apple Music with an Apple Watch Series 3, then you can stream tunes over mobile data
- Check apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Not available with all service providers. Roaming is not available outside your provider network coverage area. Included band may be a generic band
- Renewed products look and work like new. These pre-owned products have been inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers, which typically perform a full diagnostic test, replacement of any defective parts, and a thorough cleaning process. Wireless devices have batteries tested to have at least 80% capacity relative to new at the time of sale. Packaging, wall plug and charging cable may be generic (headphones not included). Wireless products on Amazon Renewed come with the 90 day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
The Fitbit Versa has not been out very long, but it’s a nice tidy fitness/ running watch that offers some great features like GPS, optical heart rate tracking and lots of workout profiles, although it does look like an Apple Watch!
Must read review: Eve Energy smart plug
Fitbit has also included music storage on the Versa and you can use services from Pandora and Deezer. You also have the option to pair Bluetooth earphones, but I would not recommend Fitbit’s own flyer earphones as you can get cheaper and better sounding.
- Track your all-day activity, 24/7 heart rate, & sleep stages -- all with a 4+ day battery life (varies with use and other factors)
- Take your favorite music phone-free by storing 300+ songs or downloading stations from Pandora or playlists from Deezer
Samsung Gear Sport
Just like the Gear S3, the Gear Sport’s killer feature in this regard is the ability to tap into Spotify. You can sync music either via the phone’s Bluetooth connection or by connecting your watch to your Wi-Fi, and once you’re all logged in you can browse all of your playlists and select what you’d like to download.
The smartwatch harbours 4GB of built-in storage to stick those your music on, which is about 500 songs and is a great pickup for those looking for something slightly cheaper and, in our view, nicer looking than the chunkier flagship smartwatch.
- Gear Sport is swim-ready and water-resistant up to 50 meters
- Get accurate, all-day fitness tracking, easy calorie entry and personal coaching
So that’s the end of the best running watch with music and I hope you have found it useful if you have then please share. If you have a question about your next running with music storage then leave it in the comments section below.
You might want to read, Music streaming on your wrist explained
Active JR may receive a small commision if you use affiliate links on this website