Amazon Smart home expanded
Amazon has announced a major update to its lineup of Echo and Alexa products with the introduction of new devices which clearly shows a strong desire to enter the smart home market further.
The online retailer has already been active in the smart home space for some time with its range of Echo products powered by Alexa, but with the introduction of the Amazon Smart Plug, AmazonBasics Smart Microwave and the addition of the built-in Zigbee hub in the Amazon Echo Plus and Echo Show, this clearly shows Amazon is taking smart home seriously and it will certainly make way for more products.
So let us take a look at all the new products coming from Amazon in the Echo range
All-new Echo Dot
This is the easiest way to bring Alexa into your home and it now comes with a new speaker for louder and crisper sound, along with an updated fabric design.
Amazon has managed to keep the Echo Dot at a low price of £49.99/$49.99 which is very good value to get a smart home speaker.
- Echo Dot is our most popular voice-controlled speaker, now with improved sound and a new design.
- Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
All-new Echo Plus
The all new Echo Plus comes with a built-in Zigbee hub, plus an upgraded speaker and a new design. The Zigbee hub means you don’t need a separate smart home hub for products that run on the Zigbee protocol and is compatible with Amazon Echo products like the Philips Hue range.
The new Echo Plus is priced at $149.99/£139 and includes a Philips Hue bulb with other bundles available.
- To set up your free bulb, plug in and set up your Echo Plus, plug in your bulb, and ask, "Alexa, discover my devices.
- Echo Plus has a built-in Zigbee hub to easily setup and control your compatible smart home devices, and an improved sound for streaming music.
All-new Echo Show
Amazon has updated the Echo shows with an all-new design, upgraded speaker, a stunning 10-inch HD display, and a built-in Zigbee smart home hub that is offered in the Echo Plus.
The Echo show is priced at $229.99/£219 and again comes bundled with a Philips Hue smart bulb.
- Premium speakers with Dolby processing let you stream music and books in crisp, stereo sound. With a vibrant 10" HD screen for watching videos, movies, and TV shows-in a new fabric design.
- Ask Alexa to see lyrics and album art with Amazon Music. See weather forecasts, calendars, to-do lists, and your favorite playlists.
The Echo Auto will connect to Alexa using your phone and plays through your car speakers. You will be able to use your voice to play music, check the news, open the garage door along with the ability to play Audible books, stream podcasts, or listen to Amazon Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, or NPR.
For now, this product is available by invitation only but will be priced at $29.99, but no news on pricing outside of the US.
- Connects to Alexa using your phone, is ready in seconds, and plays through your car speakers. Includes Echo Auto Dash Mount.
- With eight microphones designed for in-car acoustics, Echo Auto can hear you over music, A/C, and road noise.
Echo Wall Clock
Connects to your Echo device to visually enhance timers, alarms and reminders for $29.99. If I am being honest I can’t see much value in this product if you have other Echo devices in the home.
AmazonBasics Smart Microwave
A compact countertop microwave that connects to your Echo device to make cooking easier. It also has the ability to integrate with Amazon dash products to order products.
The Amazon smart microwave will be available in the US at $59.99, but no word on international release.
- Now it's easier to defrost peas, make popcorn, cook potatoes, and reheat rice. Quick-cook voice presets and a simplified keypad let you just ask Alexa to start microwaving.
- Auto Popcorn Replenishment can automatically reorder popcorn when you run low, enabled by Amazon Dash Replenishment technology.
Amazon Smart Plug
With a number of other Smart plus already on the market it’s only natural that Amazon would bring out its own smart plug. You will be able to control compatible lights, fans, coffee makers, and more.
The pricing for the Amazon Smart Plus is very competitive at $29.99/£24.99 and you can get it bundled with Echo products.
- Amazon Smart Plug works with Alexa to add voice control to any outlet.
- Schedule lights, fans, and appliances to turn on and off automatically, or control them remotely when you're away.
New Amazon Echo smart products availability
Amazon is planning on launching the majority of the new Echo smart products on the 11th October 2018, with most of them on an international release.
Active JR may receive a small commision if you use affiliate links on this website